Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My big sister

Today I have had Leanne on my mind all day. So I think I will write about her. She currently lives in Prattville but she is about to move back to Birmingham. YIPPEE!! She works for State Farm insurance. Guess she really wants to carry out the "legacy" that mom had working for John Hill there at the farm. She started off lowest man on totem pole (can tell you about that one... providing insurance and financial services this is melinda how can i help you. um yes, do you have a claim number-great! let me transfer you. you dont have a claim number, let me give it to you and now i will transfer you, but remember whenever you call (for goodness sakes) can you please have your claim number, in fact dont call us at all if you dont have your claim number!) and am so proud to say that she will soon be an agent- the top man. WHAHOOOOOOOOO!! Look out world because here comes Leanne Dickinson. I am smart enough to know that I have not always been Leanne's favorite person. When I was the youngin and Leanne had all of her friends over then I got to be the bratty sister that annoyed the heck out of her. But I will never forget all the bathroom trips that she got to take me on as soon as we would walk into a store, or the year she had to drive to roebuck to pick me up from school at Parkway(can we say fatty patty with the dorky glasses.. who was that kid and why would her mother let her do that :) ). BUT, those things were not going through her little mind when on that summer day she was talking to the big man Himself and prayed for a little sister. And here I am. Mom and dad had me 7 years after Leanne. I guess you could say that I was the big surprise. Doctors told mom and dad they probaby would not have kids. When Leanne came along they were so excited and felt like having baby #2 would not happen. Needless to say I came along and brought nothing but joy with me. :) Leanne always told me I was adopted. Maybe so but so sorry sis, you and me got the nose to prove we are related. Remember when you would tell me that when I was little a fat man sat on my nose and that is why it looks the way it does. I guess since Leanne asked for me she got to raise me. She was always so much fun. She took me and Cassie and Carman to the beach (but of course the dickinson luck kicked in and we went right in the middle of a hurricane and had to come back.) Really funny memories on that trip home. My senior year she let Sasha drive her blazer to prom. That was pretty cool. I even remember calling her crying because i had spilt tomatoe soup all over moms new beige carpet. She came home and helped me clean it up. She has worked so hard over the past 10 years to get to where she is now. I know looking back some things were harder to go through than others but isnt it nice to know that God is in control of our footsteps. It has been a very amazing experience for me to be a part of her life and to see how God is molding her and making way for what is to come. Its amazing how different Leanne and I are. We joke about how we are like mom and dad. We are both like mom in so many ways and BOTH like dad in so many ways. At the end of the day we are so much alike. I am proud of my childhood and very proud of my parents. I am proud that God placed me to grow up with each of you.
So Leanne, Aunt Leigh, Sis,
You are an amazing person. You put your mind to something and you do it. You care about others around you and you care that much more about your family. You are beautiful from your inside out and yes God has a purpose for your life and a plan before you. I am so excited to see the future before you. I pray that as the next few months of a "new beginning" come that you follow your heart, lean on the ones who love you the most, and allow God to take hold of your hand and guide you as He has already done in this past year. You have a very special place in my heart. I love you very much and I am very proud and honored to call you sister.

1 comment:

  1. She is a pretty cool gal!! I have to admit you are alot alike. Everyday I spend with you, I have a memory of your sister to match. You Dickinson girls are a blessing to me!!
    I love you both!

    ReplyDelete