Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Nutcracker 2010- you just never know what will happen



Well, these seem to be two of Claire's favorite people as of late. The two questions I get asked a lot these days are when are we going to go see Chesney (make note that Maggie calls her "my Chesney") and when am I going to spend the night with aunt Lee. This past weekend we went to the Nutcracker and both of these people were there. We decided a couple of years ago that this would be our little tradition (me, Leanne, Claire). Bobbie had gotten some free tickets and so we were able to go with a group of people this year.Next year Maggie will join us.  I bought a Nutcracker book for Claire last week and started reading it to her so that she would better understand the story. I think this was the first year the story line really clicked and she understood the ballet. Her and Leanne giggled and talked through the entire thing. It was so funny. I did get a little side tracked when  a little boy came running up the aisle. He passed by us and I did not think anything else of it until I heard this noise. I looked behind me and well lets just say that sometimes you hear those stories of kids projectile vomiting and you think to yourself that they have to be exaggerating... well, I now believe different.  I will now listen to those stories with full belief. The lights were dimmed but there were little lights along the side of the wall. Sometimes there are spot lights on people to point them out in plays or on the stage. Well, this was more of a spotlight for the vomit. As I turned my head this poor boy was holding his stomach and throwing up everywhere. I froze for a moment knowing if I pointed this out to anyone sitting next to me that it might cause a scene. Luckily, Leanne and Claire were chatting it up so they did not pay a lick of attention to what was going on around them. Brook and Chesney were sitting next to me. I finally could not hold it in any longer and I looked at Brook and told her to look behind her. She did just in time for round 2. We looked at each other for a moment and then I think it sunk in that what was actually going on was this kid was throwing up literally 3 feet away from us and he probably has some kind of virus.  Thankfully the intermission was just a few minutes away so we tried to stay strong until then. I told her that whatever she did not to let Leanne know what had happened because she is a germaphobe and I could see her freaking out. Just as this was getting out of my mouth Chesney hopped down out of Brook's lap and came over holding her stomach and moaning. Leanne looked at me and asked what was wrong with her and I just blew it off. The moans got louder and Chesney got closer and closer. I finally realized that I was going to have to tell Leanne what had happened. At this point the smell had drifted our way. Britta, Bobbie, and Bobbie's mom were all now breathing that fresh fragrance and so we all pointed out very quickly that we were so sorry for that poor little boy BUT we had to get away fast. Sometimes as a mom you become a little like a crazy, freakishly out of control person when you find out someone is sick around you. Its like you envision the next week of your life in slow motion with sick kids. Sometimes I think Claire would like to be sick everyday. Her motto- when your sick you get to lay on the couch and watch movies all day and eat. Okay, so back to the crazy person inside of you, we decided to change our seats during the intermission.  The rest of the ballet was pretty peaceful. I watched Claire's eyes get really big and watched her smile at all of the pretty pink outfits. I watched Leanne as her eyes lit up whenever she would look at Claire. I looked to the left of me and saw Brook and Chesney having this beautiful mommy daughter moment and I thought to myself that if Connie were here she would be so proud of Brook and the mommy she is. For about 4 hours my lap was empty and I got to sit and watch this beautiful ballet with some of the most amazing people on the earth. I do remember at one point looking at Brook and asking what the odds were that this little boy would throw up 3 feet away from us. She just smiled. We made memories that day. I never thought I would take that memory away but after all, I am a Dickinson and whats even funnier than that is that the more Brook spends time with me, the more she totally GETS that :).

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! A nutcracker we will never forget :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Leanne was a germaphobe. Us germaphobes have to unite! Monday, a student threw up but made it to the bathroom. On Tuesday, another student wasn't as lucky. Luckily for me, I was home with step and missed out on the "excitement". My first year of teaching a student threw up in class. I felt sorry for the child, but the germabphobe was lurking inside of me. I am much better now since I have a child of my own. But I think I still fall into that category.

    ReplyDelete